What’s Really in Crap in a Bag?
Kibble was introduced about 100 years ago. Before that, we fed our dogs mostly scraps from our meals and they scavenged what they could. They lived good, healthy lives. I remember feeding my dog scraps, as I am sure that many people do. That was the way things were done. Then along came kibble. Why?
You would like to think that kibble was invented for the benefit of the dog. Unfortunately, this is not true. Kibble came about because there was waste from the processing of our meat. Meat that was deemed ’unfit’ for human consumption was being thrown away and this was seen as unnecessary. There needed to be a way to use this waste product.
Rendering plants are the dark side of the meat processing industry. If you have ever been by one, you know the smell is indescribable. This is a quote from an article describing the rendering process:
RENDERING PLANT SOMEWHERE IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA -- The rendering plant floor is piled high with "raw product". Thousands of dead dogs and cats; heads and hooves from cattle, sheep, pigs and horses; whole skunks; rats and raccoons -- all waiting to be processed. In the 90 degree heat, the piles of dead animals seem to have a life of their own as millions of maggots swarm over the carcasses.
Two bandanna-masked men begin operating Bobcat mini-dozers, loading the "raw" into a ten-foot deep stainless steel pit. They are undocumented workers from Mexico doing a dirty job. A giant auger-grinder at the bottom of the pit begins to turn. Popping bones and squeezing flesh are sounds from a nightmare you will never forget.
The dead dogs and cats that litter the floor could have come from the vet who had the unpleasant job of putting the pet to sleep. Along with the pet’s body, the pet’s flea collar could be still on it. The chemicals (aka poisons) from the flea collar, along with the plastic and metal will be ground right along with the dead animal that was killed because it was perhaps sick and dying from cancer. On top of that, the Phenobarbital that was used to kill the animal is still in the body. Thousands of animals are euthanized daily and put into the meat processing industry.
The meat that is unfit for human consumption can mean anything from cattle hooves, chicken beaks, or it can mean diseased meat. Cancerous meat that should always be disposed of, is ground right along with the other. Grease from hot dog stands, restaurants and side show food stands are added along to give people a way to dispose of the hundreds of thousands of gallons of rancid and over heated grease that is used in making our food. These are just a few examples of the meat product that goes into kibble.
The grain and grain by-products that go into the kibble aren’t as disgusting as the meat products, but they are just as bad for your pet. Only the cheapest grain goes into the kibble. The grain may be moldy or it may have melamine in it and will kill loved pets as it did a few years ago. By the way, the producers of the kibble that killed so many pets, over 3000, was known to be tainted with melamine and the owners of the company knew it! If that’s not enough reason to avoid kibble, I don’t know what is. The grains that are used in manufacturing kibble are the lowest of the low and contain little nutrition for the pet, if the carnivore could digest it.
The meat by products, the grain and any other trash that can be put into kibble are then cooked at high temperatures, killing any and all nutrition and enzymes that might have still been there. The food must be deemed nutritive, so vitamins and minerals must be added. Again, not the good, top quality vitamins and minerals that your want your pet to have, but the cheap ones from the cheapest source possible.
The food must be palatable to your pet, so now it is sprayed with rancid grease to make it smell good to the dog or cat.
The crap in a bag is then packaged and sent to warehouses where it may sit in 100 degree temperature on an oak pallet that has been treated with preservatives to keep the bugs out. It has been proven that this chemical can be absorbed into cardboard and plastic packaging. Tylenol had to pull some of its product off of the market because it was tainted. The tainted product was from sitting on pallets that were poisoned.
Thousands of dollars are spent on advertising to get you to buy this ‘wonderful’ food to give to your dog that you love so much and would do anything for, but they never tell you the background of where the so-called food comes from.